Make your celebration extra delicious with this raspberry and custard tart with brioche base.
- 1 2/3 cups (250g) plain flour
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons (1 sachet/7g) dried yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Coles Australian Free Range Eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 120g butter, softened, chopped
- 1 Coles Australian Free Range Egg yolk, lightly whisked
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 250g fresh or frozen raspberries
- Icing sugar, to dust
- 3 Coles Australian Free Range Egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
Step 1 Combine flour, caster sugar, yeast and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add eggs, milk and orange rind. Beat on low speed for 5 mins or until dough is smooth and elastic. With the motor running, gradually add butter, 1 piece at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat for a further 6-8 mins or until dough is shiny, smooth and elastic. Cover with a clean tea towel. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 2 hours or until dough doubles in size
Step 2 Meanwhile, to make custard filling, use an electric mixer to beat egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the flour. Beat to combine.
Step 3 Bring milk and vanilla just to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Gradually add to the egg mixture, whisking well after each addition. Transfer to a clean saucepan. Place over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 mins or until the custard boils and thickens. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 30 mins to chill.
Step 4 Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 22cm fluted tart tin with removable base. Turn brioche dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth. Shape into a 25cm disc. Press into the prepared pan. Brush edge with egg yolk. Sprinkle with white sugar and almond.
Step 5 Spoon custard over brioche dough, leaving a 2cm border. Sprinkle with raspberries. Bake for 10 mins. Reduce oven to 180°C. Bake for a further 20 mins or until golden brown and cooked through. Set aside for 1 hour to cool. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
Source: Publication: Coles Magazine